Tulare County Seal

Underground Storage Tanks (UST)

Q01:  How can I find out if a UST (Underground Storage Tank) is known to have leaked?
A01:  Go to the GeoTracker database at the California State Water Resources Control Board, geotracker.swrcb.ca.gov

You may also request to review a file by contacting this office at 559-624-7400 and you can hire an environmental consultant found in the Yellow Pages of the telephone book under Environmental and Ecological Services or a list of contractors and consultants maintained by us as a service to the public see the Hazardous Materials Consultant and Contractor lists.

Q02:  How can I review a file for a tank that has leaked?
A02:  You may contact this office at (559) 624-7400 for an appointment. Appointments are required to allow staff to pull files and to review them for confidential information that cannot be legally released to the public.

Q03:  How long does it take to get a permit to install or close tanks?
A03:  If the applicant submits sufficient information, we can approve most closure permits within two weeks. The Plan review for tank installation will take at least three weeks or may take longer depending upon the quality of the plans and information submitted by the applicant.

Please Note!  Missing information and incomplete plans will cause delays to the review and processing of a permit to close, install, modify, or repair an underground storage tank system. 

Q04:  Where can I find a contractor?
A04:  Environmental contractors and environmental consultants are found in the Yellow Pages of the telephone book under Environmental and Ecological Services.

Tulare County maintains a list of contractors and consultants who have submitted their qualifications to us. Tulare County does not endorse any contractor or consultants that have provided information on their services. See Hazardous Materials Consultant and Contractor lists.